Ethiopia has revised the entry requirement in relation to COVID-19 Pandemic effective from 1st April 2022.It will be much easier to go to Ethiopia. No PCR test will be required from vaccinated persons. Time to book a trip to Ethiopia!
Border and Point of Entry Controls
1. Any international traveler above the age of twelve coming through international airports of the country shall bring a certificate of negative RT PCR test done up to 72 hours or three days before departure or Antigen- RDT negative test up to 24 hours before arriving to Ethiopia.
2. Notwithstanding the provisions of sub-article 1 of this Article, the traveler shall enter the country if he/she has a certificate of recovery from COVID-19 within 90 days or if he/she has completed the COVID-19 vaccine in full and provides evidence.
3. Without prejudice to sub article 1 and 2 of this article, if transit passenger entering through international airports of the county don’t enter the city or don’t leave his/her hotel designated by the airline, sub articles 1 and 2 does not apply on him/her. Whereas if he/she is to enter the city leaving the airport or hotel designated by the Airline, sub articles 1 and 2 above shall apply or shall be tested negative with Antigen-RDT done at the airport or hotels designated by the airlines.
4. Notwithstanding the provisions of sub-article 1 and 2 of this article, if the traveler is a diplomat and fails to fulfill the requirements provided under sub-article 1 and 2 of this article, he/she shall be tested at the airport and enter the country. Whereas if the test result is positive or if he refuses for test, he/she shall self-isolate for 7 days.
5. Notwithstanding the provisions of sub- article 1 and 2 of this article, a returnee may enter the country by taking Antigen-RDT test at the airport if he does not fulfill the requirements provided under sub article 1 and 2 of this article. If the test result is positive, he/she shall be followed up in accordance with the relevant protocol.
6. Any person who is coronavirus positive is prohibited from entering the country.
• The COVID-19 RT-PCR test result certificate taken/issued in Ethiopia for travel from Ethiopia is not allowed to be used on the return flight.
• “Full vaccination” means 2 weeks after taking of the single dose of Johnson and Johnson, and 2 doses for Astra Zeneca, Sinopharm, Sinovac, Moderna, and Pfizer.
• “Recovery” refers to declaration of an individual free from COVID-19 which is decided according to the health professional on time based, symptom based and test-based criterions. If a patient is asymptomatic, he will be declared recovered 7 days after the day of sample collection for RT PCR test which turned positive or the day of positive Antigen RDT test. If a patient is symptomatic, he will be declared recovered after minimum of 7 days from the date of start of symptoms and additional 3 days without symptoms.